Horace Mann Endowment for Exceptional Education Scholarships Fund
Description: The Horace Mann Endowment for Exceptional Education Scholarships are available to students pursuing a major in the Exceptional Education Department.
Requirements: Must be pursuing a major in the Exceptional Education Department. Preference is given to individuals from groups that are historically underrepresented in the teaching profession and to those who demonstrate financial need. If no candidate or an insufficient number of candidates meets the preferred criteria, the scholarships may be given to any exceptional education student with demonstrated financial need (through a completed FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid Office). 9 credit hours required for graduates, 12 for undergraduates.
Semester(s) Awarded: Fall and spring
Renewable: Yes, for up to three additional years provided the recipient maintains a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. The amount at which the scholarship renews may vary from year to year based on the funding available.
Please note, this scholarship will not automatically renew from undergraduate to graduate school. Award recipients who are transitioning from an undergraduate to a graduate program in the EXE Department MUST reapply.
- Horace Mann
- Supplemental Questions
- Describe how you would contribute to the diversity of the student body in the program for which you are applying or are a member of a group that is historically underrepresented at the college, or have overcome obstacles such as socioeconomic, educational, or other disadvantages or disabilities.
- Please submit an essay of at least 500 words addressing the following questions.
- Discuss a significant work in exceptional education that has shaped and strengthened your interest.
- Have you thought about what you would like to do after graduation and if you have briefly describe your current ideas.
- In which field of exceptional education do you intend to work and what specific interests do you have in this field?
- Is there any particular project or goal in Exceptional Education that you would like to accomplish as a student at SUNY Buffalo State?
- What knowledge or skills would you especially like to strengthen by working closely with professors and other students?
- What particular strengths do you bring to your studies that give you confidence you will do well in exceptional education?
- Provide a list of three references (with contact information) who can attest to your academic and/or personal commitment to the field of exceptional education.