Mothers’ Club of Central Park Methodist Church
Established in 1936 by Mrs. McClung, the wife of the pastor at Central Park Methodist Church, the Mothers’ Club gave young mothers a place to gather and talk about parenting, how to cope with their children, the Depression, and current issues of the day. The Club hosted speakers on a variety of subjects and in 1948 held its first fashion show. From the profits of the show and later events, the Mothers’ Club began presenting scholarships to students enrolled at the University of Buffalo and Buffalo State College. In 1958, the Mothers’ Club established an endowed scholarship fund at Buffalo State and since then the Fund has provided at least one scholarship annually to a deserving student.